National Yoga Month was developed to raise awareness of yoga’s health benefits and provide people with guidance and tools to improve their well-being.
The goal of the September yearly Yoga Awareness Month campaign is to educate the general public about the health benefits of yoga and to inspire individuals to live a healthy lifestyle.
Yoga has been featured in a number of clinical trials that have looked at its impact on risk of breast cancer, obesity, hypertension, heart disease, chronic back pain, asthma, carpal tunnel syndrome, and arthritis, and its impact on minimizing uncomfortable symptoms associated with menopause. Many of the studies also looked at the many benefits that yoga offers.
Other benefits of yoga include:
• Increased flexibility
• Increased muscle strength and tone
• Improved respiration, energy and vitality
• Maintaining a balanced metabolism
• Weight reduction.
• Cardio and circulatory health
• Improved athletic performance.
• Protection from injury.
To celebrate National Yoga Month, here are some yoga inspired practices we should remember.
1. Take your practice somewhere new – You can do it everywhere, that is the beauty of yoga. This month of September, try to take your yoga practice somewhere you find yourself comfortable. Maybe at your friends house instead of a yoga studio or maybe you can try outdoor yoga. There you will meet different people who love yoga.
2. Invite a friend to do yoga – Do yo have a friend that doesn’t find his or her inner yogi? This National Yoga Month, try to invite a friend or even a family member to do yoga with you. You can have some stretching outside. This is an opportunity for you to have fun doing outdoor yoga.
3. Try Challenging Yourself- There are times when we fall into our everyday routine and get really comfortable there. This month of September, try challenging yourself to step outside of your comfort zone, go out of the box. Start from small steps. If you’ve never been to any yoga class, maybe now is the perfect time. Know a strong yogi that’s looking to try something new, too?
4. Take time to refocus – It is important to take the time to turn inward, refocus, and calm our minds. If you have little time to spare, there are available apps to guide us through meditation while we’re on the go. Learn to plan how you’re going to do this after incorporating this into your daily routine.
5. Calm your Mind- Take a mindful minute by doing daily journal. Sometimes, getting your thoughts out on a paper can calm our minds. Write about your day, what your grateful for, and your goals for tomorrow.
6. Be Healthy- In celebration of National Yoga Month, your body needs to be fueled up and healthy. You can try out new recipes to keep that yoga glow all month long. Remember to always keep things nutritious and clean for this month. Incorporate nutrient-rich foods into your diet, or maybe create a plant-based menu for the month. Enjoy trying new things, and new recipes.
7. Spread Love – Practice kindness and be someone who makes others smile. Smile to strangers. This can brighten up their day. Spread love wherever you go. You may not realize the effects on them, but you could be responsible for turning their day around with just a smile and a kind word.